At the age of 25, Elly Mayday had it all.
She landed her dream job as a flight attendant and was just beginning her career as a plus-size model. She’d been born in Aylesbury, Sask. (population: 50), and grew up to chase her dreams in Vancouver. Mayday was ready to take on life and share her adventures with the world.
That was until she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Twice.
After suffering from irregular lower back pain and bloating for three years, symptoms dismissed as nothing serious by doctors, Elly was given the news that her prognosis wasn’t good.
Each year, 2,800 Canadian women are diagnosed with ovarian cancer, with 56 per cent not living past five years of their diagnosis.
It’s a shocking statistic, one that could have driven Mayday to retreat from the public eye. Instead, she did the exact opposite.
She quit her job as a flight attendant and began booking more photo shoots, posing bald and scarred, and began sharing her battle with the world.
“I had 30,000 people following me on Facebook and a couple contracts in my hands, and I thought, ‘OK, heres the bomb. Here’s where Im being tested in my life. Here’s where Im going to show them who I am,'” Mayday told HuffPost Canada in an interview. “I think being public about a disease that isnt talked about and that isnt given the notoriety and the awareness that its serves and its needs is an opportunity to step up.”
On social media, Mayday has over 67,000 follower on Instagram and nearly 500,000 fans on Facebook who are captivated by her stunning photos and bravery to share her story. These platforms have allowed Mayday to feel less alone, knowing other women are able to reach out to her and be able to encourage her and share their stories, too.
Mayday believes that putting yourself out there, and being authentic and real, can really have an effect on people. Now as a professional model, she wants other girls to know that she is exactly like they are.
“I want to really instill on girls that ‘Im you!’ Im not polished all the time like how it is on social media. Im not that way. Im not Photoshopped all the time. I want girls to be able to relate to me, and women, too.”
It’s this “bravery personified” that landed Mayday as the face of Addition Elle’s BRAve campaign.
Because of her dedication to raising awareness for the disease and her body positive activism, Addition Elle and Ovarian Cancer Canada knew Mayday was the perfect fit.
“Im a very proud Canadian girl. Its wonderful to have such a huge company across Canada that can reach so many women. All these new sets of eyes, all these new minds that are being introduced to ovarian cancer and to understanding the awareness, and how much this cancer and disease needs support is amazing,” Mayday explains.
“Its huge to have them partner up, I think its going to be the collaboration of the year, and I hope it goes on for many more years.”
In the campaign’s images the blond beauty is seen baring her surgery scars.
But Mayday doesn’t see them as scars. She sees them as beauty marks.
“We all have scars. I see the beauty in getting through something and embracing the things that changed us, but maybe change us for the better,” she explains. “A lot of women talk about their stretch marks or the marks from having babies. Those marks are something I would love to have than what I have. Youve had something wonderful from those marks, and I actually do too!”
“Whether its marks physically or emotionally, we all have scars and I think that our scars make us better. Our scars give us stories to talk about and they connect us.”
Mayday explains how her cancer diagnosis has taught her who she really is inside and what she is all about. She has not only changed the way she now thinks of herself, but her perspective on beauty has changed, too.
Bruised, not broken.
A post shared by Elly Mayday (@ellymaydayofficialfanpage) on Apr 11, 2017 at 9:05pm PDT
“I dont describe myself as what is on the outside, because Ive had everything taken away on the outside because of cancer. Beauty is who we are, not what we are. Beauty is not something that we wear, or something that we do to ourselves, its something that is inside of us and thats what is beautiful.”
And if there’s one thing that Elly credits to getting here through the darkest and toughest of times, it’s her confidence.
“I was confident going into it, I was confident going out of it, and I was confident all the way through,” she says.
“I encourage women to find confidence before anything happens in their life! You can always get back up. Youre not falling down a set of stairs that are no longer there, youre going to climb up those ones.”
- Minnesota Fraternal Order of the Eagles and RiverView Health Foundation - $5K donation will boost ovarian cancer ... - Crookston Daily Times - June 22nd, 2017
- Clovis' Shares Soar Following Data Released from Ovarian Cancer Trial - Investing News Network (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- New Ovarian Cancer Drug Shows Promise - Newsmax - June 21st, 2017
- Clovis Oncology stock surges 50% on positive late-stage cancer trial results - MarketWatch - June 19th, 2017
- Cardiff scientist to 'train' virus to fight ovarian cancer - BBC News - BBC News - June 19th, 2017
- National Survey Reveals New Insights Into Needs of Ovarian ... - Benzinga - June 16th, 2017
- POINT: Primary Debulking Surgery vs Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Newly Diagnosed Advanced Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Network - June 16th, 2017
- COUNTERPOINT: Primary Debulking Surgery vs Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Newly Diagnosed Advanced Ovarian ... - Cancer Network - June 16th, 2017
- Ovarian cancer symptoms - THIS is the most common sign of the disease - Express.co.uk - June 16th, 2017
- Teen Raising Awareness After Battling Ovarian Cancer - America Now - June 16th, 2017
- New drug raises ovarian cancer survival rates - Daily Nation - June 13th, 2017
- Ovarian Cancer Awareness - FOX31 Denver - June 10th, 2017
- Doing THIS in the shower could cause bacterial infection and increases deadly cancer risk - Express.co.uk - June 10th, 2017
- This teen is sharing the symptoms of her stage 3 ovarian cancer so ... - HelloGiggles - June 9th, 2017
- Experimental ovarian cancer drug shows promise in early trial - The Pharmaceutical Journal - June 9th, 2017
- Ovarian Cancer Teenager | Women's Health - Women's Health - June 8th, 2017
- 17-Year-Old Ovarian Cancer Survivor on the Symptom She Ignored: 'I Want to Make People Aware' - PEOPLE.com - June 7th, 2017
- Lymphadenectomy Does Not Improve Survival in Advanced Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Network - June 7th, 2017
- Novel Approach Increases Breast, Ovarian Cancer Genetic Screening - Oncology Nurse Advisor - June 7th, 2017
- First-in-class drug for ovarian cancer shows promise at ASCO ... - FierceBiotech - June 6th, 2017
- Ovarian cancer: Possible advantage of high blood pressure - ModernMedicine - June 6th, 2017
- Maintenance Cediranib in Ovarian Cancer Fails to Show Significant OS Improvement - Cancer Network - June 6th, 2017
- Homologous Recombination Deficiency and PARP Inhibition in Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Network - June 6th, 2017
- This mother of two battled ovarian cancer to become a motivational speaker and life coach - TheHealthSite - June 6th, 2017
- New Insights About Ovarian Cancer - Fox 4 Now WFTX Fort Myers ... - Fox 4 - June 6th, 2017
- Drug shrinks ovarian tumours in early trial - BBC News - BBC News - June 6th, 2017
- Ovarian Cancer - Foundation for Women's Cancer - June 4th, 2017
- Second Surgery Slows Recurrent Ovarian Cancer | Medpage Today - MedPage Today - June 4th, 2017
- Olaparib Associated With Improved Quality of Life in Ovarian Cancer ... - Cancer Network - June 4th, 2017
- 'Biggest breakthrough in a decade': New ovarian cancer drug proves hugely promising - RT - June 4th, 2017
- Bevacizumab Does Not Improve Response, Survival in Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Network - June 4th, 2017
- Letter, 5/28: Center boosts ovarian cancer hope - Lincoln Journal Star - May 29th, 2017
- National Survey Shows Resource, Emotional and Support Needs of ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - May 28th, 2017
- Model and cancer 'thriver' Elly Mayday teams up with local filmmaker to make movie about ovarian cancer - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - May 26th, 2017
- Gynaecological cancers: The diseases affecting women which come ... - The Independent - May 26th, 2017
- Talcum Powder Ovarian Cancer Defendant Seeks Summary Judgment Ahead of Fifth Missouri Trial - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - May 26th, 2017
- Bevacizumab benefits ovarian cancer patients irrespective of timing - medwireNews - May 24th, 2017
- Oman- Ovarian cancer: Signs, symptoms and all you need to know for prevention and cure - MENAFN.COM - May 22nd, 2017
- 'Trust Your Gut' campaign urges ovarian cancer awareness - KOIN.com - May 20th, 2017
- ImmunoGen Announces New Clinical Data with Mirvetuximab ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 18th, 2017
- Ovarian cancer symptoms: Irregular periods also linked to THIS other gynaecological cancer - Express.co.uk - May 17th, 2017
- Talcum Powder Wrongful Death Lawsuits Consolidated for Upcoming Ovarian Cancer Trial in Missouri, Bernstein ... - PR Newswire (press release) - May 17th, 2017
- BC scientists uncover new subtypes of ovarian cancer, allowing for more targeted treatment - The Province - May 16th, 2017
- 2 Gig Harbor women allege ovarian cancer from talcum-based ... - KOMO News - May 12th, 2017
- UConn doc's vaccine aims to fight ovarian cancer | HartfordBusiness ... - Hartford Business - May 12th, 2017
- Verdict: Ovarian Cancer Patient Gets Millions from Baby Powder Company - CBN News - May 12th, 2017
- Ovarian cancer cure? Scientists may have found way to tackle most aggressive type - Express.co.uk - May 12th, 2017
- QC festival rocks out to raise awareness for ovarian cancer | WQAD ... - WQAD.com - May 9th, 2017
- Have The Ladyballs To Help Make Ovarian Cancer Research A ... - Huffington Post Canada - May 9th, 2017
- UConn doc's vaccine aims to fight ovarian cancer - Hartford Business - May 9th, 2017
- Baby powder lawsuit: Woman with ovarian cancer awarded $110M from Johnson & Johnson - USA TODAY - May 5th, 2017
- Avid Runner Creates 50+ Member Team to Support Ovarian Cancer After Battling the Disease - GlobeNewswire (press release) - May 5th, 2017
- World Ovarian Cancer Drugs Market Analysis, Opportunities and ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 5th, 2017
- Watch Brannel School fitness instructor speak of emotional battle with ovarian cancer and The Cove - Cornwall Live - May 5th, 2017
- Cancer Antigen Expression Associated With Prognosis in Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Network - May 4th, 2017
- Potential new ovarian cancer treatment discovered - International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics - May 4th, 2017
- Combination Therapy Could Provide New Treatment Option for Ovarian Cancer, Says Study - Scicasts (press release) (blog) - May 4th, 2017
- Campaign highlights symptoms of 'silent killer' ovarian cancer which ... - Irish Independent - May 4th, 2017
- Dance-a-thon will focus on ovarian cancer awareness - The Park Record - May 2nd, 2017
- 'General Hospital' stars to be in Philly to raise money for ovarian cancer - Philly.com - May 2nd, 2017
- "Friends" Grows as Breast, Ovarian Cancer Groups Merge - TCPalm - May 1st, 2017
- Rubraca Granted Accelerated FDA Approval for Advanced BRCA-positive Ovarian Cancer - Oncology Nurse Advisor - April 29th, 2017
- Five common myths about ovarian cancer busted | South China ... - South China Morning Post - April 29th, 2017
- The 3 cancers Jews need to worry about most and how to reduce ... - Jewish Telegraphic Agency - April 29th, 2017
- Pureology Participating in Run/Walk to Break the Silence on Ovarian Cancer - SalonToday - April 28th, 2017
- Tumor marker for aggressive ovarian cancer identified -- ScienceDaily - Science Daily - April 28th, 2017
- Report: Ovarian Cancer Market Expected to Quadruple to $5.2B - Pharmaceutical Processing - April 28th, 2017
- Adding Bevacizumab to Chemo May Prolong Survival in Recurrent Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Therapy Advisor - April 24th, 2017
- Ovarian cancer UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas - April 22nd, 2017
- World roots for teen fighting ovarian, liver cancer - The Daily Advertiser - April 21st, 2017
- Ovarian cancer BREAKTHROUGH: New drug could help cure MAJORITY of sufferers - Express.co.uk - April 21st, 2017
- Zejula Now Available for Recurrent Ovarian Cancer - Monthly Prescribing Reference (registration) - April 20th, 2017
- Recruitment begins for world's first ovarian cancer vaccine trial - Medical Xpress - April 20th, 2017
- Unexpected Benefit Links Hypertension to Better Ovarian Cancer ... - Cancer Network - April 20th, 2017
- Ovarian cancer survivor prepares for Sandy Sprint, with help from new drug - 6abc.com - April 19th, 2017
- Unexpected Benefit Links Hypertension to Better Ovarian Cancer Outcomes - Cancer Network - April 19th, 2017
- Mateon announces positive topline data in ovarian cancer - BioPharma Dive - April 19th, 2017
- Going Viral: Using a Deadly Disease to Kill Ovarian Cancer - Yale News - April 19th, 2017
- Tesaro Resorts to PR Razzle Dazzle to Make Ovarian Cancer Drug Appear Cheaply Priced - TheStreet.com - April 19th, 2017
- Comedian Keeps Her Sense of Humor When Facing Ovarian Cancer - Yahoo Finance - April 19th, 2017