At the age of 25, Elly Mayday had it all.
She landed her dream job as a flight attendant and was just beginning her career as a plus-size model. She’d been born in Aylesbury, Sask. (population: 50), and grew up to chase her dreams in Vancouver. Mayday was ready to take on life and share her adventures with the world.
That was until she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Twice.
After suffering from irregular lower back pain and bloating for three years, symptoms dismissed as nothing serious by doctors, Elly was given the news that her prognosis wasn’t good.
Each year, 2,800 Canadian women are diagnosed with ovarian cancer, with 56 per cent not living past five years of their diagnosis.
It’s a shocking statistic, one that could have driven Mayday to retreat from the public eye. Instead, she did the exact opposite.
She quit her job as a flight attendant and began booking more photo shoots, posing bald and scarred, and began sharing her battle with the world.
“I had 30,000 people following me on Facebook and a couple contracts in my hands, and I thought, ‘OK, heres the bomb. Here’s where Im being tested in my life. Here’s where Im going to show them who I am,'” Mayday told HuffPost Canada in an interview. “I think being public about a disease that isnt talked about and that isnt given the notoriety and the awareness that its serves and its needs is an opportunity to step up.”
On social media, Mayday has over 67,000 follower on Instagram and nearly 500,000 fans on Facebook who are captivated by her stunning photos and bravery to share her story. These platforms have allowed Mayday to feel less alone, knowing other women are able to reach out to her and be able to encourage her and share their stories, too.
Mayday believes that putting yourself out there, and being authentic and real, can really have an effect on people. Now as a professional model, she wants other girls to know that she is exactly like they are.
“I want to really instill on girls that ‘Im you!’ Im not polished all the time like how it is on social media. Im not that way. Im not Photoshopped all the time. I want girls to be able to relate to me, and women, too.”
It’s this “bravery personified” that landed Mayday as the face of Addition Elle’s BRAve campaign.
Because of her dedication to raising awareness for the disease and her body positive activism, Addition Elle and Ovarian Cancer Canada knew Mayday was the perfect fit.
“Im a very proud Canadian girl. Its wonderful to have such a huge company across Canada that can reach so many women. All these new sets of eyes, all these new minds that are being introduced to ovarian cancer and to understanding the awareness, and how much this cancer and disease needs support is amazing,” Mayday explains.
“Its huge to have them partner up, I think its going to be the collaboration of the year, and I hope it goes on for many more years.”
In the campaign’s images the blond beauty is seen baring her surgery scars.
But Mayday doesn’t see them as scars. She sees them as beauty marks.
“We all have scars. I see the beauty in getting through something and embracing the things that changed us, but maybe change us for the better,” she explains. “A lot of women talk about their stretch marks or the marks from having babies. Those marks are something I would love to have than what I have. Youve had something wonderful from those marks, and I actually do too!”
“Whether its marks physically or emotionally, we all have scars and I think that our scars make us better. Our scars give us stories to talk about and they connect us.”
Mayday explains how her cancer diagnosis has taught her who she really is inside and what she is all about. She has not only changed the way she now thinks of herself, but her perspective on beauty has changed, too.
Bruised, not broken.
A post shared by Elly Mayday (@ellymaydayofficialfanpage) on Apr 11, 2017 at 9:05pm PDT
“I dont describe myself as what is on the outside, because Ive had everything taken away on the outside because of cancer. Beauty is who we are, not what we are. Beauty is not something that we wear, or something that we do to ourselves, its something that is inside of us and thats what is beautiful.”
And if there’s one thing that Elly credits to getting here through the darkest and toughest of times, it’s her confidence.
“I was confident going into it, I was confident going out of it, and I was confident all the way through,” she says.
“I encourage women to find confidence before anything happens in their life! You can always get back up. Youre not falling down a set of stairs that are no longer there, youre going to climb up those ones.”
- Diet May Be Reason Pitavastatin, a Statin, Failed to Arrest Ovarian Cancer in Clinical Trials, Study Says - Ovarian Cancer News Today - August 18th, 2017
- Hope for Heather turns Minoa pizza shop teal for ovarian cancer awareness - WSYR - August 18th, 2017
- Blood test shows promise for early-stage cancer detection - Chicago Tribune - August 18th, 2017
- Walk/run to raise ovarian cancer awareness - KARE - August 18th, 2017
- FDA expands use of AstraZeneca/Merck ovarian cancer drug - Reuters - August 18th, 2017
- OMF - Joan Janssen, 53, ovarian cancer, Sun Prairie, WI, with ... - WEEI.com - August 16th, 2017
- 4 Secret Signs Of Ovarian Cancer (Check Urine Now) - The Alternative Daily (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- BMS and Clovis Collaborate to Test Opdivo, Rubraca Combo Therapy in Ovarian, Other Cancer Types - Ovarian Cancer News Today - August 14th, 2017
- Roswell Park ovarian cancer research may help extend longevity - Buffalo News - August 9th, 2017
- UC Riverside math researchers find key to stopping ovarian cancer from spreading - Press-Enterprise - August 9th, 2017
- Olaparib Extends PFS in Relapsed Ovarian Cancer, With Good QOL ... - Cancer Network - August 9th, 2017
- Newcastle researchers a step closer to developing early test for ovarian cancer - ABC Online - August 8th, 2017
- Lewes to participate in ovarian cancer awareness campaign Turn the Town Teal - Sussex Countian - August 5th, 2017
- Cancer Survivor Peg Ford Assists In Effort To Fight Ovarian Cancer ... - Coronado Eagle and Journal - August 4th, 2017
- Ovarian Cancer Will Be Part of $5.8 Million UC San Diego ... - Ovarian Cancer News Today - August 3rd, 2017
- SHP2 overexpression enhances the invasion and metastasis of ovarian cancer in vitro and in vivo - Dove Medical Press - August 3rd, 2017
- Should you get screened for ovarian cancer? | TheHill - The Hill (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Boulder's Clovis pairs with Bristol-Myers on breast, ovarian, prostate cancer treatments - Boulder Daily Camera - August 2nd, 2017
- CT Perfusion Biomarkers for Ovarian Cancer Treatment Prognosis - Diagnostic Imaging - July 13th, 2017
- New Treatment for Ovarian Cancer - KDRV - July 13th, 2017
- Teen Diagnosed with Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer Is in Remission: 'It's a Huge Relief' - PEOPLE.com - July 13th, 2017
- Clomide - Clomid linked to ovarian cancer - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- 8th Annual 5K run/3K walk to break the silence on Ovarian Cancer on September 17th - Eye On Annapolis - July 11th, 2017
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutations Increase Risk for Breast, Ovarian Cancers, Study Finds - Ovarian Cancer News Today - July 10th, 2017
- Are lawsuits linking talcum powder to ovarian cancer based on junk science? - Chicago Tribune - July 10th, 2017
- Clomid side effects and success stories - Clomid infertility forum - Van Wert independent - July 9th, 2017
- Celsion's GEN-1 Combined with Chemotherapy May Help Treat Advanced Ovarian Cancer - Ovarian Cancer News Today - July 7th, 2017
- Celsion Completes Ovarian Cancer Trial Enrollment, Stock Up - July ... - Zacks.com - July 6th, 2017
- Runner raises money for Ovarian cancer in honor of relatives - Reminder Publications - July 6th, 2017
- British biotech close to breakthrough test for ovarian cancer - Telegraph.co.uk - July 6th, 2017
- Blood test by Britain's Angle detects ovarian cancer in study - Reuters - July 6th, 2017
- PARP inhibitor shows promise in ovarian cancer - ModernMedicine - July 6th, 2017
- Breast, Ovarian Cancer Risk Patterns by BRCA Status Identified - Cancer Network - July 3rd, 2017
- Ovarian cancer breakthrough: Scientists discover how the DEADLY ... - Express.co.uk - July 3rd, 2017
- Husband captures wife's battle with ovarian cancer in powerful series of photos - Metro - July 1st, 2017
- PARP Inhibitors Effective but Costly for Recurrent Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Network - June 30th, 2017
- Devon jouster fundraises for ovarian cancer treatment - BBC News - June 29th, 2017
- Awareness of ovarian cancer symptoms 'alarmingly low' among women in Wales - WalesOnline - June 29th, 2017
- Is It Too Late to Buy Clovis Oncology Stock? - Madison.com - June 27th, 2017
- North Devon woman set to appear on TV about pioneering surgery for 'aggressive' cancer - Devon Live - June 27th, 2017
- Cancer hijacks natural cell process to survive - Medical Xpress - Medical Xpress - June 26th, 2017
- Missouri judge declares mistrial in fifth talc trial after Supreme Court restricts out-of-state plaintiff filings. - The Legal Herald (press release)... - June 26th, 2017
- Clovis gets good ovarian cancer drug news; shares soar - Denver Business Journal - June 25th, 2017
- Study provides more accurate estimates of genetic breast, ovarian ... - News8000.com - WKBT - June 25th, 2017
- Minnesota Fraternal Order of the Eagles and RiverView Health Foundation - $5K donation will boost ovarian cancer ... - Crookston Daily Times - June 22nd, 2017
- Clovis' Shares Soar Following Data Released from Ovarian Cancer Trial - Investing News Network (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- New Ovarian Cancer Drug Shows Promise - Newsmax - June 21st, 2017
- Clovis Oncology stock surges 50% on positive late-stage cancer trial results - MarketWatch - June 19th, 2017
- Cardiff scientist to 'train' virus to fight ovarian cancer - BBC News - BBC News - June 19th, 2017
- National Survey Reveals New Insights Into Needs of Ovarian ... - Benzinga - June 16th, 2017
- POINT: Primary Debulking Surgery vs Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Newly Diagnosed Advanced Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Network - June 16th, 2017
- COUNTERPOINT: Primary Debulking Surgery vs Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Newly Diagnosed Advanced Ovarian ... - Cancer Network - June 16th, 2017
- Ovarian cancer symptoms - THIS is the most common sign of the disease - Express.co.uk - June 16th, 2017
- Teen Raising Awareness After Battling Ovarian Cancer - America Now - June 16th, 2017
- New drug raises ovarian cancer survival rates - Daily Nation - June 13th, 2017
- Ovarian Cancer Awareness - FOX31 Denver - June 10th, 2017
- Doing THIS in the shower could cause bacterial infection and increases deadly cancer risk - Express.co.uk - June 10th, 2017
- This teen is sharing the symptoms of her stage 3 ovarian cancer so ... - HelloGiggles - June 9th, 2017
- Experimental ovarian cancer drug shows promise in early trial - The Pharmaceutical Journal - June 9th, 2017
- Ovarian Cancer Teenager | Women's Health - Women's Health - June 8th, 2017
- 17-Year-Old Ovarian Cancer Survivor on the Symptom She Ignored: 'I Want to Make People Aware' - PEOPLE.com - June 7th, 2017
- Lymphadenectomy Does Not Improve Survival in Advanced Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Network - June 7th, 2017
- Novel Approach Increases Breast, Ovarian Cancer Genetic Screening - Oncology Nurse Advisor - June 7th, 2017
- First-in-class drug for ovarian cancer shows promise at ASCO ... - FierceBiotech - June 6th, 2017
- Ovarian cancer: Possible advantage of high blood pressure - ModernMedicine - June 6th, 2017
- Maintenance Cediranib in Ovarian Cancer Fails to Show Significant OS Improvement - Cancer Network - June 6th, 2017
- Homologous Recombination Deficiency and PARP Inhibition in Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Network - June 6th, 2017
- This mother of two battled ovarian cancer to become a motivational speaker and life coach - TheHealthSite - June 6th, 2017
- New Insights About Ovarian Cancer - Fox 4 Now WFTX Fort Myers ... - Fox 4 - June 6th, 2017
- Drug shrinks ovarian tumours in early trial - BBC News - BBC News - June 6th, 2017
- Ovarian Cancer - Foundation for Women's Cancer - June 4th, 2017
- Second Surgery Slows Recurrent Ovarian Cancer | Medpage Today - MedPage Today - June 4th, 2017
- Olaparib Associated With Improved Quality of Life in Ovarian Cancer ... - Cancer Network - June 4th, 2017
- 'Biggest breakthrough in a decade': New ovarian cancer drug proves hugely promising - RT - June 4th, 2017
- Bevacizumab Does Not Improve Response, Survival in Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Network - June 4th, 2017
- Letter, 5/28: Center boosts ovarian cancer hope - Lincoln Journal Star - May 29th, 2017
- National Survey Shows Resource, Emotional and Support Needs of ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - May 28th, 2017
- Model and cancer 'thriver' Elly Mayday teams up with local filmmaker to make movie about ovarian cancer - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - May 26th, 2017
- Gynaecological cancers: The diseases affecting women which come ... - The Independent - May 26th, 2017
- Talcum Powder Ovarian Cancer Defendant Seeks Summary Judgment Ahead of Fifth Missouri Trial - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - May 26th, 2017