September 07, 2017 -On June 17, 2017, Medical Oncology Hematology Consultants, PA suffered a ransomware attack potentially impacting some patient EHRs on the practices server and computer workstations, according to an online statement.
The potentially affected files may have contained personal information including patient names, dates of birth, phone numbers, health information, and treatment information.
Upon discovering evidence of a ransomware attack, the practice launched an investigation to determine the extent of the damage and identify which patients may have been affected by the attack.
According to the OCR data breach reporting tool, the ransomware attack may have affected the information of 19,203 individuals.
We also engaged third party experts to assist us in recovering the affected data, to help ensure that our systems were no longer subject to the ransomware, and to examine whether protected health information or personally identifiable information had been used, accessed, disclosed, acquired, or otherwise compromised by unauthorized parties, Medical Oncology Hematology Consultants said.
READ MORE: MI Computer System Health Data Breach May Involve Data of 106K
In light of the incident, the practice has notified potentially affected patients of the breach and offered individuals one year of free credit monitoring services.
We have reset our network passwords; restored our servers from pre-incident backups; reviewed and revised our document retention policies; retained a forensic expert to evaluate the incident, determine the source of the intrusion, and recommend additional preventative measures; conducted an email phishing test; provided additional data security training to our employees; installed an umbrella web filtering system; implemented a two factor login authentication system; consolidated our servers and systems to eliminate redundancies; and reevaluated our access privileges, the organization explained.
Keylogger virus potentially impacts PHI of 10K patients
The Northeast Ob/Gyn Associates (NE OB/GYN) recently notified patients of a keylogger virus potentially affecting its network earlier this summer.
On July 6, 2017, the gynecology practice discovered a keylogger virus affecting its network and quickly removed it from the majority of its network computers and terminal servers by July 11, 2017. According to Northeast officials, the incident was completely resolved by July 13, 2017.
READ MORE: St. Marks Ransomware Attack Could Affect 33K Patients
A later investigation found the keylogger virus was first installed on June 5, 2017.
Potentially impacted patients may include any individuals who paid for services with a credit or debit card between June 5, 2017 and July 11, 2017.
The potential breach may have affected 10,198 individuals, according to the OCR data breach reporting tool.
Credit card information, patient names, addresses, dates of birth, Social Security numbers, scheduling notes, current procedural technology, billing codes, and any information keyed into the NE OB/GYN system during the specified time period may have been affected.
Any information that was not keyed into the system was not affected, clarified a letter issued by NE OB/GYN officials. Patient Portal information was not accessed at any point.
READ MORE: Phishing Attack May Impact PHI of 3.4K at CA Treatment Center
NE OB/GYN sent letters to potentially affected patients whose information may have been exposed. Additionally, the practice is offering patients free identity protect services for one year, as well as a $1,000,000 insurance reimbursement policy.
A variety of security measures were in place before this incident, including network filtering and security monitoring, firewalls, antivirus software and password protection, stated the letter.
NE OB/GYN added that it implemented additional security safeguards to reduce the risk of similar threats to patient information in the future.
CVS Caremark mailing inadvertently exposes HIV-related patient information
CVS Caremarka division of CVS Healthhalted a mailing to Ohio patients last week about HIV-related medication after discovering a reference to HIV appeared above patient names in the window of envelopes issued to about 4,000 individuals.
On August 24, AIDS activist Eddie Hamilton of Columbus, Ohio sent local news source The Washington Blade an image of the envelope with a mention of HIV above his name in view of the envelope window.
CVS Health places the highest priority on protecting the privacy of our patients and we take our responsibility to safeguard confidential patient information very seriously, CVS Health spokesperson Michael J. DeAngelis told the Washington Blade.
The letters contained benefit information of participants in Ohios AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP). ADAP uses federal funds to pay for HIV medication for low-income individuals without sufficient health insurance.
A reference code for this assistance program included a series of letters and numbers (PM 6402 HIV) that were visible within the envelope window, DeAngelis told the news source. This reference code was intended to refer to the name of the program and not to the recipients health status.
DeAngelis maintained no protected health information was exposed in the potential breach, and that CVS Caremark is taking steps to eliminate the reference in future mailings.
Hamilton stated he has been instructing Ohio ADAP clients to contact the ADAP coordinator in the state to report the potential breach of privacy. Additionally, Hamilton has filed a complaint to OCR.
CA Phishing attack compromises employee email account
An employee email account was recently compromised at Community Memorial Health System (CMHS) in Ventura, California as a result of a phishing attack, according to a Pacific Coast Business Times article.
The employee discovered the email account had been hacked after noticing irregularities in their account and immediately notified CMHS officials.
CMHS officials launched an investigation into the incident to determine whether any personal patient information had been accessed or misused through the affected account. Additionally, the health system hired a forensic consultant to determine if any data had been breached.
According to the forensic consultant, there was no evidence to suggest any personal patient information had been misused or leaked.
The information of about 959 individuals was contained within the impacted employee email account. Patient information included names, CMHS medical record number, and some other health information.
Additionally, several patient Social Security numbers were contained within the email account, but CMHS officials stated no bank account or credit or debit card information was included.
Health system officials added they will notify all potentially affected individuals and disable all external access to the CMHS email system. CMHS also plans to deploy additional alerts and monitoring tools to avoid similar incidents in the future.
- Report from Stat reveals the limits of IBM's Watson for Oncology. - Slate Magazine (blog) - September 7th, 2017
- Merck snaps up a German immuno-oncology upstart in a $603M bolt ... - Endpoints News - September 7th, 2017
- Startup that makes personalized cancer treatments gets $93 million in funding - SFGate - September 7th, 2017
- Moonlight Mixer to benefit oncology services - AdVantage News - September 7th, 2017
- Ramping back up on oncology, GSK takes an option on Adaptimmune's TCR cancer drug - Endpoints News - September 7th, 2017
- Advanced oncology treatment now available in Sterling - Journal Advocate - September 7th, 2017
- Zymeworks to Present at the European Society for Medical Oncology 2017 Congress and Hold Webcast to Review ... - Business Wire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- OSE Immunotherapeutics Partners with Oncology Physician Network GERCOR to Conduct a Combination Phase 2 ... - Business Wire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- MEI Pharma nabs rights to oncology candidate voruciclib - Seeking Alpha - September 5th, 2017
- EnGeneIC Announces Publication in The Lancet Oncology of First Clinical Study Employing EDV Nanocell Platform ... - Markets Insider - September 5th, 2017
- Performance by comedian David Lee Nelson raises money for oncology center - Do Savannah - September 5th, 2017
- Pembrolizumab Has Promising Activity in Extensive-Stage SCLC - Cancer Network - September 5th, 2017
- Endocyte Announces Presentation at the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) - GlobeNewswire (press release) - September 5th, 2017
- 19000 Medical Oncology Hematology Consultants, PA records exposed in ransomware attack - SC Magazine - September 4th, 2017
- Belgian Biotech Grows its Immuno-Oncology Pipeline for Childhood Cancer - Labiotech.eu (blog) - September 4th, 2017
- Innovations in oncology explode as new treatments gain approval - Business Day (registration) - September 4th, 2017
- Cancer center takes in Houston patients statewide following Hurricane Harvey - KVUE - September 4th, 2017
- Oncology the current landscape and what it means for the future - pharmaphorum - September 4th, 2017
- To Fight Cancer, India Must Fast-Track Approvals For Oncology Drugs And Devices - Huffington Post India - September 4th, 2017
- Therapeutic Area: Oncology | Chiltern - September 3rd, 2017
- Best Oncology Conferences 2018 | Oncology Meetings USA ... - September 3rd, 2017
- Texas Oncology to cancer patients who have been displaced by ... - Star Local Media - September 3rd, 2017
- Oncurious to Buy VIB's Immun-Oncology Portfolio - BioPharm International - September 2nd, 2017
- Delaware oncology group hit by nearly month-long ransomware attack - Healthcare IT News - September 2nd, 2017
- For residents, by residents: Mentorship program focuses on radiation oncology - Radiology Business - September 2nd, 2017
- Gilead Sciences' Oncology M&A Strategy Explained - Motley Fool - September 2nd, 2017
- Performance of AstraZeneca's Oncology Segment in 2Q17 - Market Realist - September 2nd, 2017
- Shattuck-Takeda Partnership Will Involve Double-barreled Cancer-fighting Therapies - Immuno-Oncology News - September 2nd, 2017
- Guenther Koehne named chief of bone marrow transplantation and hematologic oncology at Miami Cancer Institute - The Cancer Letter Publications - September 2nd, 2017
- Pharmalittle: A generic rival for opioid treatment & an oncology setback for J&J - STAT - September 2nd, 2017
- BeiGene Announces Presentations at the European Society for Medical Oncology 2017 Congress - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- Loxo Oncology to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- 6 years after child's death, father buys lunch for oncology unit nurses - WKRN.com - August 31st, 2017
- Pediatric oncology nurses embrace a unique role - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 31st, 2017
- AVEO Oncology: EU Approval Pop Is Just The Beginning - Seeking Alpha - August 31st, 2017
- BizVibe Announces Its List of the Best Oncology Pharmaceutical Companies for 2017 - Business Wire (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) Shares Needle Moving -2.94% - Morgan Research - August 31st, 2017
- Star team quietly raises $21M to launch the latest immuno-oncology ... - Endpoints News - August 31st, 2017
- Texas Oncology Available To Patients Impacted By Harvey - PR Newswire (press release) - August 30th, 2017
- Dell Medical School creates Department of Oncology - UT The Daily Texan - August 30th, 2017
- Six years after child's death, father buys lunch for oncology unit ... - NBC4i.com - August 30th, 2017
- Jazz, ImmunoGen partner on hematology, oncology drug development - BioPharma Dive - August 30th, 2017
- Five Prime cuts loose from InhibRx immuno-oncology deal - FierceBiotech - August 29th, 2017
- Bivarus and Community Oncology Alliance Collaborate to Improve ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Kura Oncology to Participate in Citi's 12th Annual Biotech Conference - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Exceptional Registered Nurse and Radio Oncology Nurse, Jose Vicente Delgado, RN, BSN, will be Highlighted in the ... - PR NewsChannel (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) and Telecom Argentina SA (TEO) - Morgan Research - August 29th, 2017
- Oncology training for community nurses begin in Kumasi - Ghana News Agency - August 29th, 2017
- AVEO Oncology (AVEO) Granted European Union Approval for FOTIVDA (tivozanib) - StreetInsider.com - August 28th, 2017
- Ridley-Tree Cancer Center of Santa Barbara achieves four-year accreditation for radiation oncology services from ... - Markets Insider - August 28th, 2017
- Immuno-Oncology 360 Summit Confirms Program Line-up for February 7-9, 2018 - Benzinga - August 28th, 2017
- Options Traders Expect Huge Moves in ZIOPHARM Oncology (ZIOP) Stock August 28, 2017 - Zacks.com - August 28th, 2017
- Park Ridge news briefs: Oncologist, molecular biologist named to Maine South's alumni Wall of Honor - Chicago Tribune - August 28th, 2017
- 'Bras for a Cause' to benefit oncology patients - Sandusky Register - August 27th, 2017
- Oncology | Internal Medicine | ACP - August 26th, 2017
- Maury Regional adds five physicians - Columbia Daily Herald - August 26th, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - LWW Journals (blog) - August 26th, 2017
- Who Is Cancer Genetics? - Modest Money (press release) (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Oncology probe was blocked - Independent Online - August 25th, 2017
- Samaritan awarded radiation oncology qualification for new cancer treatment option - WatertownDailyTimes.com - August 25th, 2017
- Champions Oncology Announces Strategic Collaboration with AstraZeneca to Develop Unique Cohorts of Patient ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- Highlighting the hematology/oncology unit at Gundersen - News8000.com - WKBT - August 25th, 2017
- FDA Actions & Updates - LWW Journals (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Equicare Health and Lexington Medical Center collaborate on oncology integration project - Markets Insider - August 24th, 2017
- A Look into Merck's Immunology and Oncology Portfolio - Market Realist - August 24th, 2017
- Hematologist Oncologist Now Serving Mid-Shore Cancer Patients - My Eastern Shore - August 24th, 2017
- Grid Therapeutics Signs Exclusive License Agreement to Develop a Novel Immuno-Oncology Antibody - Business Wire (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- LabCorp Partners OmniSeq to Grow in Immuno-Oncology Space ... - Nasdaq - August 22nd, 2017
- BTG and SIO Expand Immuno-Oncology / Interventional Oncology Grant Programme - Markets Insider - August 21st, 2017
- Champions Oncology Announces Strategic Collaboration with AstraZeneca to Develop Unique Cohorts of Patient ... - Markets Insider - August 21st, 2017
- ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) Share Performance Recap - FLBC News - August 19th, 2017
- Champions Oncology Announces Research Collaboration with The Addario Lung Cancer Medical Institute to Develop ... - Markets Insider - August 19th, 2017
- Teton Valley Hospital to provide oncology services - KIFI - LocalNews8.com - August 19th, 2017
- Is ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) Building Momentum? - FLBC News - August 19th, 2017
- Can Stress Cause Cancer? | Massage Professionals Update - August 18th, 2017
- Champions Oncology (CSBR) Announces Research Pact with The Addario Lung Cancer Medical Institute - StreetInsider.com - August 18th, 2017
- Buy or Sell? Average Brokerage Ratings on Vantiv, Inc. (VNTV), Clovis Oncology, Inc. (CLVS) - StockNewsJournal - August 18th, 2017
- Bristol-Myers shares sink after another setback for its immuno-oncology franchise drugs - Endpoints News - August 18th, 2017
- Cell Line Development Services Markets, 2025 - Growing Incidence Rates of Oncology and Immunological Disorders ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- Advanced oncology treatment now available in Sterling - Fort Morgan Times - August 17th, 2017