Emily Hawkinson was 9 when she settled on a career in nursing.
Her 6-year-old sister was hospitalized with a brain tumor at Childrens Health Care of Atlanta at Scottish Rite.
Seeing what she went through and seeing the great care the nurses gave her made me want to do that, too, said Emily, who is now 25 and a third-year pediatric oncology nurse at the Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center of Childrens Healthcare of Atlanta, the same place her sister beat cancer.
Pediatric oncology is a highly specialized and emotionally challenging field of nursing. In broadest terms, a pediatric oncology nurse works with patients who are 18 or younger, but can be as old as 21. All of their patients are dealing with cancer, with some of the most common being Leukemia, brain and spinal cord tumors, Lymphoma and bone cancer.
Marguerite Majcher has worked exclusively in pediatric oncology for 25 of the 28 years shes been a nurse. Like Emily, she had a strong personal draw to the field: her mother was a labor and delivery nurse.
Marguerite always wanted to work in pediatrics and decided to focus her lifes work on oncology after visits to a summer camp for children with cancer, she said.
I really just fell in love with that patient population, said Marguerite, who began work at the Aflac Cancer Center in April.
The emotional challenges of working with young cancer patients are likely obvious and part of the daily life of a pediatric oncology nurse practitioner.
The most challenging thing is seeing kids hurt and in pain and the parents stressed because of what theyre going through, Emily said.
Yet these nurses speak with enthusiasm and love for their work. Both Marguerite and Emily said that they make it through some of the toughest days in part because of their supportive teammates and administration.
Oncology nurses often hear that it takes a special person to work with a child who is dealing with a cancer diagnosis, Marguerite said. She doesnt agree.
If I can make something easier for somebody during the worst days of their lives, I have always found it very rewarding, said Marguerite, an RN who is certified as a pediatric-hematology-oncology nurse.
Pediatric oncology nurses perform a wide variety of procedures in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Assessments have to be made to determine whether a child is healthy enough to tolerate chemotherapy or other treatments, some of which the nurse administers under doctors orders. During treatments, the nurse performs more assessments looking for potential side effects, including life-threatening reactions. Theyre also dealing with the childs family, likely at one of the worst times of life.
At Aflac Cancer Center, where Emily works with
patients who need hematology and oncology services, as well as
those requiring transplants, the nurse-to- patient ratio is low.
Rarely will Emily be caring for more than three patients in a shift, she said.
Thats why the patient-to-nurse ratio in childhood cancer is usually low. For instance, at Childrens, where Emily works with patients who need hematology and oncology services, as well as those requiring transplants, she usually sees no more than two or three patients during her shift.
In many cases, the patient-nurse relationship can go on for weeks or months, not days as is the typical hospital stay for other patients, Emily said.
Im a strong believer we work as hard as any nurse in ICU, Marguerite said.
Most pediatric oncology nurse practitioners, such as Marguerite and Emily work at a hospital in a specialized pediatric oncology unit typically either a childrens hospital or a hospital with a general patient population that has a wing dedicated to childrens cancers.
But there are exceptions, such as Laura Hacker, a registered nurse who works with Georgia Urology. She isnt officially a pediatric oncology nurse, but she works in pediatrics and is involved in treating young patients who are battling cancer.
Recently, she was part of a team treating a teenager who had gone to his primary care physician after noticing a testicular lump. The boy was referred to Georgia Urology and was set up to have a mass removed the next day, Hacker said.
The tumor had metastasized and was much worse than originally thought, she said.
As a mom myself I felt pretty bad giving that kind of news to a mother and son. Nonetheless, we helped them and referred them on for the appropriate treatment, Hacker said. I think we make quite a difference in the lives of pediatric patients, as well as the parents.
Hacker worked in primary care pediatrics for many years before joining Georgia Urology nine years ago.
It is certainly rewarding to be able to help someone overcome a diagnosis, such as cancer, the mother of two said.
The first step to becoming a pediatric oncology nurse is to complete a registered nursing program, which usually takes between two and four years. Once through the program, the next hurdle is to obtain a state nursing license.
Emily found that her courses at nursing school focused more on adult s than pediatrics. Built into her first year at
Aflac Cancer Center was plenty of training classes to fill in the gap, she said.
Childhood Cancer Statistics
Source: CureSearch for Childrens Cancer, a national non-profit foundation that works to accelerate the search for cures for childrens cancer. See: https://curesearch.org/
- Report from Stat reveals the limits of IBM's Watson for Oncology. - Slate Magazine (blog) - September 7th, 2017
- Merck snaps up a German immuno-oncology upstart in a $603M bolt ... - Endpoints News - September 7th, 2017
- Startup that makes personalized cancer treatments gets $93 million in funding - SFGate - September 7th, 2017
- Moonlight Mixer to benefit oncology services - AdVantage News - September 7th, 2017
- Ramping back up on oncology, GSK takes an option on Adaptimmune's TCR cancer drug - Endpoints News - September 7th, 2017
- Advanced oncology treatment now available in Sterling - Journal Advocate - September 7th, 2017
- Ransomware Attack May Impact 19K Oncology Hematology Patients - HealthITSecurity.com - September 7th, 2017
- Zymeworks to Present at the European Society for Medical Oncology 2017 Congress and Hold Webcast to Review ... - Business Wire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- OSE Immunotherapeutics Partners with Oncology Physician Network GERCOR to Conduct a Combination Phase 2 ... - Business Wire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- MEI Pharma nabs rights to oncology candidate voruciclib - Seeking Alpha - September 5th, 2017
- EnGeneIC Announces Publication in The Lancet Oncology of First Clinical Study Employing EDV Nanocell Platform ... - Markets Insider - September 5th, 2017
- Performance by comedian David Lee Nelson raises money for oncology center - Do Savannah - September 5th, 2017
- Pembrolizumab Has Promising Activity in Extensive-Stage SCLC - Cancer Network - September 5th, 2017
- Endocyte Announces Presentation at the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) - GlobeNewswire (press release) - September 5th, 2017
- 19000 Medical Oncology Hematology Consultants, PA records exposed in ransomware attack - SC Magazine - September 4th, 2017
- Belgian Biotech Grows its Immuno-Oncology Pipeline for Childhood Cancer - Labiotech.eu (blog) - September 4th, 2017
- Innovations in oncology explode as new treatments gain approval - Business Day (registration) - September 4th, 2017
- Cancer center takes in Houston patients statewide following Hurricane Harvey - KVUE - September 4th, 2017
- Oncology the current landscape and what it means for the future - pharmaphorum - September 4th, 2017
- To Fight Cancer, India Must Fast-Track Approvals For Oncology Drugs And Devices - Huffington Post India - September 4th, 2017
- Therapeutic Area: Oncology | Chiltern - September 3rd, 2017
- Best Oncology Conferences 2018 | Oncology Meetings USA ... - September 3rd, 2017
- Texas Oncology to cancer patients who have been displaced by ... - Star Local Media - September 3rd, 2017
- Oncurious to Buy VIB's Immun-Oncology Portfolio - BioPharm International - September 2nd, 2017
- Delaware oncology group hit by nearly month-long ransomware attack - Healthcare IT News - September 2nd, 2017
- For residents, by residents: Mentorship program focuses on radiation oncology - Radiology Business - September 2nd, 2017
- Gilead Sciences' Oncology M&A Strategy Explained - Motley Fool - September 2nd, 2017
- Performance of AstraZeneca's Oncology Segment in 2Q17 - Market Realist - September 2nd, 2017
- Shattuck-Takeda Partnership Will Involve Double-barreled Cancer-fighting Therapies - Immuno-Oncology News - September 2nd, 2017
- Guenther Koehne named chief of bone marrow transplantation and hematologic oncology at Miami Cancer Institute - The Cancer Letter Publications - September 2nd, 2017
- Pharmalittle: A generic rival for opioid treatment & an oncology setback for J&J - STAT - September 2nd, 2017
- BeiGene Announces Presentations at the European Society for Medical Oncology 2017 Congress - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- Loxo Oncology to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- 6 years after child's death, father buys lunch for oncology unit nurses - WKRN.com - August 31st, 2017
- AVEO Oncology: EU Approval Pop Is Just The Beginning - Seeking Alpha - August 31st, 2017
- BizVibe Announces Its List of the Best Oncology Pharmaceutical Companies for 2017 - Business Wire (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) Shares Needle Moving -2.94% - Morgan Research - August 31st, 2017
- Star team quietly raises $21M to launch the latest immuno-oncology ... - Endpoints News - August 31st, 2017
- Texas Oncology Available To Patients Impacted By Harvey - PR Newswire (press release) - August 30th, 2017
- Dell Medical School creates Department of Oncology - UT The Daily Texan - August 30th, 2017
- Six years after child's death, father buys lunch for oncology unit ... - NBC4i.com - August 30th, 2017
- Jazz, ImmunoGen partner on hematology, oncology drug development - BioPharma Dive - August 30th, 2017
- Five Prime cuts loose from InhibRx immuno-oncology deal - FierceBiotech - August 29th, 2017
- Bivarus and Community Oncology Alliance Collaborate to Improve ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Kura Oncology to Participate in Citi's 12th Annual Biotech Conference - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Exceptional Registered Nurse and Radio Oncology Nurse, Jose Vicente Delgado, RN, BSN, will be Highlighted in the ... - PR NewsChannel (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) and Telecom Argentina SA (TEO) - Morgan Research - August 29th, 2017
- Oncology training for community nurses begin in Kumasi - Ghana News Agency - August 29th, 2017
- AVEO Oncology (AVEO) Granted European Union Approval for FOTIVDA (tivozanib) - StreetInsider.com - August 28th, 2017
- Ridley-Tree Cancer Center of Santa Barbara achieves four-year accreditation for radiation oncology services from ... - Markets Insider - August 28th, 2017
- Immuno-Oncology 360 Summit Confirms Program Line-up for February 7-9, 2018 - Benzinga - August 28th, 2017
- Options Traders Expect Huge Moves in ZIOPHARM Oncology (ZIOP) Stock August 28, 2017 - Zacks.com - August 28th, 2017
- Park Ridge news briefs: Oncologist, molecular biologist named to Maine South's alumni Wall of Honor - Chicago Tribune - August 28th, 2017
- 'Bras for a Cause' to benefit oncology patients - Sandusky Register - August 27th, 2017
- Oncology | Internal Medicine | ACP - August 26th, 2017
- Maury Regional adds five physicians - Columbia Daily Herald - August 26th, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - LWW Journals (blog) - August 26th, 2017
- Who Is Cancer Genetics? - Modest Money (press release) (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Oncology probe was blocked - Independent Online - August 25th, 2017
- Samaritan awarded radiation oncology qualification for new cancer treatment option - WatertownDailyTimes.com - August 25th, 2017
- Champions Oncology Announces Strategic Collaboration with AstraZeneca to Develop Unique Cohorts of Patient ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- Highlighting the hematology/oncology unit at Gundersen - News8000.com - WKBT - August 25th, 2017
- FDA Actions & Updates - LWW Journals (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Equicare Health and Lexington Medical Center collaborate on oncology integration project - Markets Insider - August 24th, 2017
- A Look into Merck's Immunology and Oncology Portfolio - Market Realist - August 24th, 2017
- Hematologist Oncologist Now Serving Mid-Shore Cancer Patients - My Eastern Shore - August 24th, 2017
- Grid Therapeutics Signs Exclusive License Agreement to Develop a Novel Immuno-Oncology Antibody - Business Wire (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- LabCorp Partners OmniSeq to Grow in Immuno-Oncology Space ... - Nasdaq - August 22nd, 2017
- BTG and SIO Expand Immuno-Oncology / Interventional Oncology Grant Programme - Markets Insider - August 21st, 2017
- Champions Oncology Announces Strategic Collaboration with AstraZeneca to Develop Unique Cohorts of Patient ... - Markets Insider - August 21st, 2017
- ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) Share Performance Recap - FLBC News - August 19th, 2017
- Champions Oncology Announces Research Collaboration with The Addario Lung Cancer Medical Institute to Develop ... - Markets Insider - August 19th, 2017
- Teton Valley Hospital to provide oncology services - KIFI - LocalNews8.com - August 19th, 2017
- Is ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) Building Momentum? - FLBC News - August 19th, 2017
- Can Stress Cause Cancer? | Massage Professionals Update - August 18th, 2017
- Champions Oncology (CSBR) Announces Research Pact with The Addario Lung Cancer Medical Institute - StreetInsider.com - August 18th, 2017
- Buy or Sell? Average Brokerage Ratings on Vantiv, Inc. (VNTV), Clovis Oncology, Inc. (CLVS) - StockNewsJournal - August 18th, 2017
- Bristol-Myers shares sink after another setback for its immuno-oncology franchise drugs - Endpoints News - August 18th, 2017
- Cell Line Development Services Markets, 2025 - Growing Incidence Rates of Oncology and Immunological Disorders ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- Advanced oncology treatment now available in Sterling - Fort Morgan Times - August 17th, 2017