Names added to 2017 Maine South Wall of Honor
Maine South High School has announced that Dr. Ravi Salgia and the late Dr. Susan Lindquist are the 2017 inductees to the school’s alumni Wall of Honor.
Salgia, a 1977 Maine South graduate, is a medical oncologist, researcher and professor, specializing in lung cancer. In 2016, he joined City of Hope, a cancer research hospital in Duarte, Calif., as a professor and chairman of the Department of Medical Oncology and Therapeutics Research, according to the hospital’s website.
The University of Chicago, where Salgia has also spent time as a professor, called Salgia “an expert in thoracic oncology” the treatment of lung cancer. Maine South, in a news release, reported that Salgia’s life’s work “has led to a variety of therapies that are matched to and most effective for any particular stage of lung cancer.”
A 1967 graduate of Maine South, Dr. Susan Lindquist was a molecular biologist, professor and researcher. She died in 2016 at age 67.
According to her obituary in the New York Times, Lindquist’s work with yeast proteins “opened new avenues to understanding gene functioning and degenerative diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.” Maine South noted that Lindquist’s career “is all the more noteworthy because it was launched in an era when women in science research were few and far between.”
Both Salgia and Lindquist will be honored during a Sept. 21 dinner at Cafe La Cave in Des Plaines.
Maine South’s Wall of Honor was launched in 2013, and new names are added every two years based on nominations.
Other alumni who appear on the Wall of Honor are Hillary Clinton, Pulitzer Price-winning journalist Patricia Callahan, climate scientist Nathan Hultman, attorney and former federal judge Mark Filip, and former Microsoft executive Ray Ozzie.
District 207 superintendent named ‘Champion of the Year’
Ken Wallace, superintendent of Maine Township High School District 207, was recently named 2018 Champion of the Year by the Association for Career and Technical Education and its board of directors, the district announced.
According to ACTE, the Champion of the Year Award is given to individuals who have contributed to “the improvement, promotion, development and progress of career and technical education.”
ACTE’s announcement of Wallace’s selection referenced District 207 as the first school district in the world to partner with Google and use Google applications and email for educational purposes; Tech Insider’s naming of District 207 as “one of the 14 most innovative school districts in America;” and Wallace’s emphasis on career exploration for students, which has included an expanded student internship program (reportedly growing by 126 percent over the past two years) and the hiring of a career coordinator.
“Schools offer students flexibility in their schedules that allows them to take advantage of shadow days, job fairs, career panels and non-traditional internships,” the district said in a statement. “[Wallace] has also integrated career readiness into the district’s counseling programs, grading system and curriculum development.”
Wallace will be recognized with other national ACTE award winners on Dec. 6 during the annual ACTE Awards Banquet in Nashville. The banquet is taking place during ACTE’s CareerTech Vision 2017, which features thousands of career and technical education professionals from around the country.
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital ranked on ‘Best Hospitals List’
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge was ranked 8th within the top 10 hospitals in the state on a new “Best Hospitals List” published by U.S. News and World Report.
Lutheran General tied with University of Chicago Medical Center for the 8th spot out of more than 200 Illinois hospitals, and was ranked 7th among hospitals in the Chicago metro area, according to the publication.
Nationally, the hospital was ranked 42nd in gastroenterology and GI surgery, and given a “high performing” rating in colon cancer surgery, hip and knee replacements, heart failure treatment, and treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
U.S. News and World Report ranked Northwestern Memorial Hospital as the top hospital in the state, followed by Rush University Medical Center and Loyola University Medical Center.
An explanation of how hospitals are ranked can be found on the publication’s website.
Changes made to police ‘Text a Tip’ program
The Park Ridge Police Department has announced changes in its anonymous “Text a Tip” program due to the selection of a new vendor.
To provide an anonymous tip to police, enter the number 888777 in the phone number area and start the text message with TIP ICARE, the police department said. In the text field, tipsters are asked to provide “as much information as possible,” including exact locations.
All tips remain anonymous, according to the department.
Emergencies and in-progress crimes should continue to be reported by calling 911, police said.
For more information, visit http://www.parkridgepolice.org.
- Report from Stat reveals the limits of IBM's Watson for Oncology. - Slate Magazine (blog) - September 7th, 2017
- Merck snaps up a German immuno-oncology upstart in a $603M bolt ... - Endpoints News - September 7th, 2017
- Startup that makes personalized cancer treatments gets $93 million in funding - SFGate - September 7th, 2017
- Moonlight Mixer to benefit oncology services - AdVantage News - September 7th, 2017
- Ramping back up on oncology, GSK takes an option on Adaptimmune's TCR cancer drug - Endpoints News - September 7th, 2017
- Advanced oncology treatment now available in Sterling - Journal Advocate - September 7th, 2017
- Ransomware Attack May Impact 19K Oncology Hematology Patients - HealthITSecurity.com - September 7th, 2017
- Zymeworks to Present at the European Society for Medical Oncology 2017 Congress and Hold Webcast to Review ... - Business Wire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- OSE Immunotherapeutics Partners with Oncology Physician Network GERCOR to Conduct a Combination Phase 2 ... - Business Wire (press release) - September 6th, 2017
- MEI Pharma nabs rights to oncology candidate voruciclib - Seeking Alpha - September 5th, 2017
- EnGeneIC Announces Publication in The Lancet Oncology of First Clinical Study Employing EDV Nanocell Platform ... - Markets Insider - September 5th, 2017
- Performance by comedian David Lee Nelson raises money for oncology center - Do Savannah - September 5th, 2017
- Pembrolizumab Has Promising Activity in Extensive-Stage SCLC - Cancer Network - September 5th, 2017
- Endocyte Announces Presentation at the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) - GlobeNewswire (press release) - September 5th, 2017
- 19000 Medical Oncology Hematology Consultants, PA records exposed in ransomware attack - SC Magazine - September 4th, 2017
- Belgian Biotech Grows its Immuno-Oncology Pipeline for Childhood Cancer - Labiotech.eu (blog) - September 4th, 2017
- Innovations in oncology explode as new treatments gain approval - Business Day (registration) - September 4th, 2017
- Cancer center takes in Houston patients statewide following Hurricane Harvey - KVUE - September 4th, 2017
- Oncology the current landscape and what it means for the future - pharmaphorum - September 4th, 2017
- To Fight Cancer, India Must Fast-Track Approvals For Oncology Drugs And Devices - Huffington Post India - September 4th, 2017
- Therapeutic Area: Oncology | Chiltern - September 3rd, 2017
- Best Oncology Conferences 2018 | Oncology Meetings USA ... - September 3rd, 2017
- Texas Oncology to cancer patients who have been displaced by ... - Star Local Media - September 3rd, 2017
- Oncurious to Buy VIB's Immun-Oncology Portfolio - BioPharm International - September 2nd, 2017
- Delaware oncology group hit by nearly month-long ransomware attack - Healthcare IT News - September 2nd, 2017
- For residents, by residents: Mentorship program focuses on radiation oncology - Radiology Business - September 2nd, 2017
- Gilead Sciences' Oncology M&A Strategy Explained - Motley Fool - September 2nd, 2017
- Performance of AstraZeneca's Oncology Segment in 2Q17 - Market Realist - September 2nd, 2017
- Shattuck-Takeda Partnership Will Involve Double-barreled Cancer-fighting Therapies - Immuno-Oncology News - September 2nd, 2017
- Guenther Koehne named chief of bone marrow transplantation and hematologic oncology at Miami Cancer Institute - The Cancer Letter Publications - September 2nd, 2017
- Pharmalittle: A generic rival for opioid treatment & an oncology setback for J&J - STAT - September 2nd, 2017
- BeiGene Announces Presentations at the European Society for Medical Oncology 2017 Congress - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- Loxo Oncology to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- 6 years after child's death, father buys lunch for oncology unit nurses - WKRN.com - August 31st, 2017
- Pediatric oncology nurses embrace a unique role - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 31st, 2017
- AVEO Oncology: EU Approval Pop Is Just The Beginning - Seeking Alpha - August 31st, 2017
- BizVibe Announces Its List of the Best Oncology Pharmaceutical Companies for 2017 - Business Wire (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) Shares Needle Moving -2.94% - Morgan Research - August 31st, 2017
- Star team quietly raises $21M to launch the latest immuno-oncology ... - Endpoints News - August 31st, 2017
- Texas Oncology Available To Patients Impacted By Harvey - PR Newswire (press release) - August 30th, 2017
- Dell Medical School creates Department of Oncology - UT The Daily Texan - August 30th, 2017
- Six years after child's death, father buys lunch for oncology unit ... - NBC4i.com - August 30th, 2017
- Jazz, ImmunoGen partner on hematology, oncology drug development - BioPharma Dive - August 30th, 2017
- Five Prime cuts loose from InhibRx immuno-oncology deal - FierceBiotech - August 29th, 2017
- Bivarus and Community Oncology Alliance Collaborate to Improve ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Kura Oncology to Participate in Citi's 12th Annual Biotech Conference - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Exceptional Registered Nurse and Radio Oncology Nurse, Jose Vicente Delgado, RN, BSN, will be Highlighted in the ... - PR NewsChannel (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Unusual Activity Spotted in ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) and Telecom Argentina SA (TEO) - Morgan Research - August 29th, 2017
- Oncology training for community nurses begin in Kumasi - Ghana News Agency - August 29th, 2017
- AVEO Oncology (AVEO) Granted European Union Approval for FOTIVDA (tivozanib) - StreetInsider.com - August 28th, 2017
- Ridley-Tree Cancer Center of Santa Barbara achieves four-year accreditation for radiation oncology services from ... - Markets Insider - August 28th, 2017
- Immuno-Oncology 360 Summit Confirms Program Line-up for February 7-9, 2018 - Benzinga - August 28th, 2017
- Options Traders Expect Huge Moves in ZIOPHARM Oncology (ZIOP) Stock August 28, 2017 - Zacks.com - August 28th, 2017
- 'Bras for a Cause' to benefit oncology patients - Sandusky Register - August 27th, 2017
- Oncology | Internal Medicine | ACP - August 26th, 2017
- Maury Regional adds five physicians - Columbia Daily Herald - August 26th, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - LWW Journals (blog) - August 26th, 2017
- Who Is Cancer Genetics? - Modest Money (press release) (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Oncology probe was blocked - Independent Online - August 25th, 2017
- Samaritan awarded radiation oncology qualification for new cancer treatment option - WatertownDailyTimes.com - August 25th, 2017
- Champions Oncology Announces Strategic Collaboration with AstraZeneca to Develop Unique Cohorts of Patient ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- Highlighting the hematology/oncology unit at Gundersen - News8000.com - WKBT - August 25th, 2017
- FDA Actions & Updates - LWW Journals (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- Equicare Health and Lexington Medical Center collaborate on oncology integration project - Markets Insider - August 24th, 2017
- A Look into Merck's Immunology and Oncology Portfolio - Market Realist - August 24th, 2017
- Hematologist Oncologist Now Serving Mid-Shore Cancer Patients - My Eastern Shore - August 24th, 2017
- Grid Therapeutics Signs Exclusive License Agreement to Develop a Novel Immuno-Oncology Antibody - Business Wire (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- LabCorp Partners OmniSeq to Grow in Immuno-Oncology Space ... - Nasdaq - August 22nd, 2017
- BTG and SIO Expand Immuno-Oncology / Interventional Oncology Grant Programme - Markets Insider - August 21st, 2017
- Champions Oncology Announces Strategic Collaboration with AstraZeneca to Develop Unique Cohorts of Patient ... - Markets Insider - August 21st, 2017
- ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) Share Performance Recap - FLBC News - August 19th, 2017
- Champions Oncology Announces Research Collaboration with The Addario Lung Cancer Medical Institute to Develop ... - Markets Insider - August 19th, 2017
- Teton Valley Hospital to provide oncology services - KIFI - LocalNews8.com - August 19th, 2017
- Is ZIOPHARM Oncology Inc (ZIOP) Building Momentum? - FLBC News - August 19th, 2017
- Can Stress Cause Cancer? | Massage Professionals Update - August 18th, 2017
- Champions Oncology (CSBR) Announces Research Pact with The Addario Lung Cancer Medical Institute - StreetInsider.com - August 18th, 2017
- Buy or Sell? Average Brokerage Ratings on Vantiv, Inc. (VNTV), Clovis Oncology, Inc. (CLVS) - StockNewsJournal - August 18th, 2017
- Bristol-Myers shares sink after another setback for its immuno-oncology franchise drugs - Endpoints News - August 18th, 2017
- Cell Line Development Services Markets, 2025 - Growing Incidence Rates of Oncology and Immunological Disorders ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- Advanced oncology treatment now available in Sterling - Fort Morgan Times - August 17th, 2017