The Government has set out its aims for the UKs scientific relationship with the EU following Brexit.
The Department for Exiting the European Union has published a report outlining how it still wants collaboration on issues including clinical trials and research funding.
When scientists from the UK and the EU work together they have greater impact, which ultimately benefits patients across the EU and beyond. – Emma Greenwood, Cancer Research UK
While the focus on science was welcomed, many in the sector called for more detail.
Emma Greenwood, Cancer Research UKs director of policy, said that the reports focus on scientific collaboration is essential, and that details of future clinical trials and immigration should be agreed quickly.
Clear priorities must be an aligned regulatory system for clinical trials, and a migration system that attracts global scientific talent and supports collaboration,” she added.
The report is one of a series setting out the Governments position on key areas being negotiated around Brexit.
It follows calls from members of the scientific community to protect rules that allow researcher migration, funding agreements and partnership with regulatory bodies, so that the sectors positive contribution to the economy and patients can continue.
When scientists from the UK and the EU work together they have greater impact, particularly in medical research, which ultimately benefits patients across the EU and beyond, said Greenwood.
The report recognises the importance of funding programmes such as Horizon 2020, and again commits to funding applications submitted while the UK is part of the EU, if necessary.
Collaboration on clinical trials and a strong relationship with the European Medicines Agency (EMA), the EU body that ensures the safety and quality of medicines, are also vital to ensure that patients get access to the best treatments.
On these points, the report states an aim to continue to work closely with the EMA and other international partners, in place of our current status as a member.
Greenwood added that more than a quarter of Cancer Research UKs clinical trials involve a European partner.
This is important for trials testing new treatments for rare or childhood cancers where studies require a cross-EU approach, she said. So its critical that our ability to participate and lead international research projects is upheld as negotiations on our future relationship with the EU continue.
Professor Venki Ramakrishnan, president of the Royal Society, said that while the paper is just a first step, it was encouraging in both its tone and aspiration.
Much needs to be done to work out the conditions that ensure our continued close collaboration with the EU, he said. That is necessary to dispel the uncertainty that continues to pose a threat to our position as a global scientific power.
He also said that there should be a commitment to future funding programmes, as well as guarantees about the status of the highly skilled EU researchers already working here.
Professor Sir Robert Lechler, president of the Academy of Medical Sciences, also called for further detail as soon as possible to ensure UK science and innovation doesnt suffer.
Funding is only one part of the picture. Arguably the most important factor in determining the strength of UK science is our ability to recruit and retain the brightest and best minds and to collaborate effectively across borders, he said.
In addition, in a post-Brexit era we will need a regulatory system that facilitates collaboration between the UK and Europe across discovery science, clinical trials and beyond, and ensures that patients continue to benefit from new discoveries.
In response the EUs research commissioner, Carlos Moedas, said that he was sure that solutions would be found in science, as well as other areas. We have to have a relationship that works.
- How a cancer research and treatment center used hybrid cloud to modernize its data center - TechRepublic - September 7th, 2017
- Keyhole oesophageal cancer surgery as good as more invasive operations - Cancer Research UK - September 7th, 2017
- Weill Cornell Medicine awarded $11.3M grant for prostate cancer research - Cornell Chronicle - September 7th, 2017
- Physicists develop new tool that could improve cancer research - Phys.Org - September 7th, 2017
- University of Central Oklahoma professor awarded grant for groundbreaking cancer research - NewsOK.com - September 6th, 2017
- Lasker Awards honor Planned Parenthood and research on preventing and fighting cancer - Los Angeles Times - September 6th, 2017
- Why the federal government urgently needs to fund more cancer research - Los Angeles Times - September 5th, 2017
- Stand Up To Cancer is back! Celebrities urge the nation to join the ... - Cancer Research UK - September 5th, 2017
- Zika virus shrinks brain tumours in lab tests - Cancer Research UK - September 5th, 2017
- Northwestern Mutual Foundation gives $600000 to childhood cancer research - BizTimes.com (Milwaukee) - September 5th, 2017
- Bishop Luers kicker aiming to help pediatric cancer research - News Sentinel - September 5th, 2017
- Hackers for Hope returns to Darien to raise money for cancer research - Darien Times - September 5th, 2017
- US scientists share research of children's cancers to accelerate progress - Cancer Research UK - September 4th, 2017
- Save the Date: Go Gold Walk For Pediatric Cancer Research and Awareness Sept 24 at Oakeside Bloomfield - TAPinto.net - September 4th, 2017
- Squad of rebel Instagram mums led by The Sun's Deborah James launch this year's Stand Up To Cancer campaign ... - The Sun - September 4th, 2017
- York County stylists give blow outs, buzz cuts and beard trims for pediatric cancer - The Herald - September 4th, 2017
- Students present results of breast cancer research - The Island Now - September 4th, 2017
- 'Free To Breathe 5K Run/Walk' Continues To Support Lung Cancer Research - WYSO - September 4th, 2017
- Early detection of cancer highlighted in new life sciences industrial strategy - Cancer Research UK - August 31st, 2017
- Cycling to Raise Funds for Cancer Research - Virginia Connection Newspapers - August 31st, 2017
- Most young people who try e-cigarettes don't become regular users, says study - Cancer Research UK - August 31st, 2017
- Kneaders Raises $300K to Support Cancer Research - QSR magazine (press release) (registration) - August 31st, 2017
- SHS Pink Out Week set to raise money for breast cancer research - Stillwater News Press - August 30th, 2017
- Relay for Life raises $11000 for cancer research - Pratt Tribune - August 30th, 2017
- West Orange Community Encouraged to "Brave the Shave" for Childhood Cancer Research - TAPinto.net - August 30th, 2017
- Pensacola attorney honored for cancer research donation | WEAR - WEAR - August 29th, 2017
- Qualtrics Appoints New Executive to Lead Its Campaign for Cancer Research - Markets Insider - August 29th, 2017
- PICTURES: 30000 raised for Cancer Research at Dundee Relay for Life event - Evening Telegraph - August 29th, 2017
- Thousands raise money for brain cancer research - KSHB.com 41 ... - KSHB - August 29th, 2017
- New cancer treatment may be more effective than chemotherapy - The Independent - August 29th, 2017
- Team Blake plays kickball to raise money for cancer research - KSNT News - August 29th, 2017
- New imaging technique spots prostate tumours starved of oxygen ... - Cancer Research UK - August 25th, 2017
- Kicking cancer | Frontier HS football player dedicates senior year to cancer research - Bakersfield Now - August 25th, 2017
- Pink Patch Project cancer research fundraiser coming to South Bay Galleria - The Daily Breeze - August 25th, 2017
- South West Rocks' Lions Club raises money for Daffodil Day - The Macleay Argus - August 25th, 2017
- Cowboys for Cancer Research celebrates 35 years: UNM Health ... - HSC Newsbeat - August 25th, 2017
- Matt Lampson discusses his upcoming cancer research fundraiser ... - WGN-TV - August 25th, 2017
- 165-Pound Therapy Dog Raises Money for Cancer Research - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - August 24th, 2017
- Community voices concerns over proposed cuts to cancer research - News 12 Westchester - August 24th, 2017
- International eye cancer research project to improve future therapies - Medical Xpress - August 24th, 2017
- Government urged to protect EU funding for cancer research post-Brexit - NW Evening Mail - August 24th, 2017
- Work on Cochin Cancer Research Centre to begin on January 1 - The Hindu - August 24th, 2017
- Trump signs McCaul pediatric cancer research legislation into law - MyStatesman.com - August 21st, 2017
- Dance The Night Away & Raise Money For Cancer Research At Free The Tatas Disco Ball - OffBeat Magazine - August 21st, 2017
- Cowboys for Cancer Research Celebrates 35 Years of Supporting New Mexicans - Newswise (press release) - August 21st, 2017
- Natera Launches Signatera Personalized Circulating Tumor DNA Technology for Cancer Research - Markets Insider - August 21st, 2017
- Clevedon church raises hundreds for Cancer Research UK - North Somerset Times - August 21st, 2017
- WI woman swims for breast cancer research - WQOW TV News 18 - August 20th, 2017
- Family of LI kidney cancer victim raises almost $40000 for the disease's research - New York Daily News - August 20th, 2017
- Edinburgh research to find which cancer patients need chemo - The Scotsman - August 20th, 2017
- Locals set to rally, walk for Lung Cancer Research - Tacoma Weekly - August 19th, 2017
- Mother, Daughter Kayaking Delaware River In Support Of Breast ... - CBS Philly - August 19th, 2017
- Kure It Cancer Research Awards $100000 Grant To The UC Irvine Health - SpareFoot (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Join the relay to support cancer research - Wollondilly Advertiser - August 18th, 2017
- IN Congressman Proposes Bill for FF Cancer Research - Firehouse.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- The UK's pick 'n' mix approach to children's obesity is missing a trick - Cancer Research UK (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Two friends from Stroud raise more than 1300 for Cancer Research performing 'wing walk' on biplane - Stroud News and Journal - August 18th, 2017
- Cancer Research UK and Newcastle University extend successful multi-project drug discovery alliance with Astex ... - Cancer Research UK - August 17th, 2017
- Running Marvel 5K donates to cancer research, local school - The Star Democrat - August 17th, 2017
- Cancer Research UK named as charity partner of OPAP Limassol Marathon GSO - UK Fundraising - August 17th, 2017
- Trio gear up to kayak from Tewitfield to London for Cancer Research UK - The Westmorland Gazette - August 16th, 2017
- Portage man to begin walk to Washington DC this week to promote cancer research and related legislature - nwitimes.com - August 16th, 2017
- 5 Reasons You Should Take Part In Cancer Research UK's Shine Night Walk - Londonist - August 14th, 2017
- Local girl donates all her livestock earnings to cancer research - Gillette News Record - August 13th, 2017
- 'Crawlin' for a Cure' pub crawl to benefit cancer research - Bryan-College Station Eagle - August 13th, 2017
- Pups, pals and a pig parade down Main Street for cancer research - The Keene Sentinel - August 12th, 2017
- Lung cancer deaths 'to double among those who have never smoked' raising fear pollution to blame - The Independent - August 12th, 2017
- Obliteride funds lifesaving cancer research in fun-filled bike riding weekend - KING5.com - August 12th, 2017
- Kylie Jenner donating portion of lip kit proceeds to cancer research. - WJLA - August 12th, 2017
- Cancer Research UK, Biotecnol to Advance Solid Tumor ... - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - August 12th, 2017
- Annual Ride for Life to Raise Funds for Breast Cancer Research - wajr - August 12th, 2017
- US chemical lobby welcomes congressional probe of cancer research agency - Chemistry World (subscription) - August 12th, 2017
- Zoe's losing her locks for cancer research - The Sunshine Coast Daily - August 12th, 2017
- Easton residents to walk for cancer research - Wicked Local Easton - August 12th, 2017
- Free to Breathe Yoga Challenge raises money for lung cancer research - ABC2 News - August 10th, 2017
- Cancer Research UK and Biotecnol to trial new immuno-oncology ... - Cancer Research UK - August 10th, 2017
- University Collaborating With Israeli Cancer Research Company - KTVN - August 10th, 2017
- York scientist to head up 1.2m blood cancer research - The Press, York - August 10th, 2017
- March duo raise over 500 for Cancer Research charity by running the Race For Life - Cambs Times - August 10th, 2017
- Hundreds relay for cancer research in Ladera Ranch - OCRegister - August 8th, 2017