CLARKSBURG, W.Va. Saturday marks the 16th Ride for Life in North Central West Virginia, organized by Bikers for a Cure, and event organizer Kevin Ashcraft is expecting a great year.
Hundreds of bikers will participate in the Dice Run, which raises money for the American Cancer Society. Registration, along with breakfast, will be held from 10 a.m. to noon at Texas Road House.
Last year we figured it out that we had 550 people registered, Ashcraft said. And animals. We have one that brings his dog.
The 2016 event raised over $34,000 for leukemia research. This years proceeds will go toward breast cancer research.
Each year they pick a certain cancer, Ashcraft said. This year its breast cancer. Last year was leukemia. When I first started, which touched home for me, it was colon because my mother passed away from colon cancer. I really wanted to get involved, and since then its been a roll.
Ashcraft said this years hit home for the whole group when the rides founder, Chrissy, was diagnosed with breast cancer.
And she has beaten it, he said. The breast cancer really did hit home for us when that happened, and were thankful that she was able to get through it.
The annual ride begins in Clarksburg, travels through Lewis, Upshur, Barbour and Taylor counties before returning to Harrison County.
Now along this route, theres stops. Theres containers which have dice in them. What they do is, they shake the containers, Ashcraft said. Its just regular dice. Add up all the numbers, and then at that stop, theyll put the roll and then theyll get a stamp to verify that they were there.
Riders will win prizes for the high roll and the low roll. They must be in by 6 p.m. to qualify.
At the end of the ride, a reception will be held at the Best Western. Dinner will be included, along with live music from Eli and the Road Dogs, and attendees will be able to participate in bike games, 50/50 drawings and raffles.
- WI woman swims for breast cancer research - WQOW TV News 18 - August 20th, 2017
- LI racers hit the road to benefit ovarian cancer research - Newsday - August 20th, 2017
- Family of LI kidney cancer victim raises almost $40000 for the disease's research - New York Daily News - August 20th, 2017
- Edinburgh research to find which cancer patients need chemo - The Scotsman - August 20th, 2017
- Locals set to rally, walk for Lung Cancer Research - Tacoma Weekly - August 19th, 2017
- Mother, Daughter Kayaking Delaware River In Support Of Breast ... - CBS Philly - August 19th, 2017
- Kure It Cancer Research Awards $100000 Grant To The UC Irvine Health - SpareFoot (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Join the relay to support cancer research - Wollondilly Advertiser - August 18th, 2017
- IN Congressman Proposes Bill for FF Cancer Research - Firehouse.com (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- The UK's pick 'n' mix approach to children's obesity is missing a trick - Cancer Research UK (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Two friends from Stroud raise more than 1300 for Cancer Research performing 'wing walk' on biplane - Stroud News and Journal - August 18th, 2017
- Cancer Research UK and Newcastle University extend successful multi-project drug discovery alliance with Astex ... - Cancer Research UK - August 17th, 2017
- Running Marvel 5K donates to cancer research, local school - The Star Democrat - August 17th, 2017
- Cancer Research UK named as charity partner of OPAP Limassol Marathon GSO - UK Fundraising - August 17th, 2017
- Trio gear up to kayak from Tewitfield to London for Cancer Research UK - The Westmorland Gazette - August 16th, 2017
- Portage man to begin walk to Washington DC this week to promote cancer research and related legislature - nwitimes.com - August 16th, 2017
- 5 Reasons You Should Take Part In Cancer Research UK's Shine Night Walk - Londonist - August 14th, 2017
- Local girl donates all her livestock earnings to cancer research - Gillette News Record - August 13th, 2017
- 'Crawlin' for a Cure' pub crawl to benefit cancer research - Bryan-College Station Eagle - August 13th, 2017
- Pups, pals and a pig parade down Main Street for cancer research - The Keene Sentinel - August 12th, 2017
- Lung cancer deaths 'to double among those who have never smoked' raising fear pollution to blame - The Independent - August 12th, 2017
- Obliteride funds lifesaving cancer research in fun-filled bike riding weekend - KING5.com - August 12th, 2017
- Kylie Jenner donating portion of lip kit proceeds to cancer research. - WJLA - August 12th, 2017
- Cancer Research UK, Biotecnol to Advance Solid Tumor ... - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - August 12th, 2017
- US chemical lobby welcomes congressional probe of cancer research agency - Chemistry World (subscription) - August 12th, 2017
- Zoe's losing her locks for cancer research - The Sunshine Coast Daily - August 12th, 2017
- Easton residents to walk for cancer research - Wicked Local Easton - August 12th, 2017
- Free to Breathe Yoga Challenge raises money for lung cancer research - ABC2 News - August 10th, 2017
- Cancer Research UK and Biotecnol to trial new immuno-oncology ... - Cancer Research UK - August 10th, 2017
- University Collaborating With Israeli Cancer Research Company - KTVN - August 10th, 2017
- York scientist to head up 1.2m blood cancer research - The Press, York - August 10th, 2017
- March duo raise over 500 for Cancer Research charity by running the Race For Life - Cambs Times - August 10th, 2017
- Hundreds relay for cancer research in Ladera Ranch - OCRegister - August 8th, 2017
- Summer interns conduct cancer research in Hawaii - UH System Current News - August 8th, 2017
- Could gold finally have a purpose? New research says it could help in the fight against cancer - CNBC - August 7th, 2017
- What's happening to make treatments better and less horrible? Alyssa's story - Cancer Research UK (blog) - August 7th, 2017
- The article must be retracted: Journal pulls prostate cancer study - Retraction Watch (blog) - August 7th, 2017
- Gotton Manor team raise money for Cancer Research - carehome.co.uk News - August 7th, 2017
- Shepherd student presents cancer research - Herald-Mail Media - August 7th, 2017
- Fourth Annual ESPY Day Raises More than $5 Million for Cancer Research - ESPN MediaZone - August 6th, 2017
- Bidens kick off bike race fundraiser for cancer research | TheHill - The Hill (blog) - August 6th, 2017
- Connecticut Hospitals Win $150K For Childhood Cancer Research - Hartford Courant - August 5th, 2017
- Dance event aims to raise funds for cancer research - Daily Journal - August 5th, 2017
- Targeted radiotherapy limits side effects of breast cancer treatment - Cancer Research UK - August 3rd, 2017
- Scientists deliver knock-out blow to multiple cancers - Cancer Research UK - August 3rd, 2017
- 'Trash Cancer' program supports cancer research - Goshen News - August 3rd, 2017
- Cancer Research Institute and Israel Cancer Research Fund ... - Newswise (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- Capito, Manchin announce CDC grants for West Virginia cancer research - Beckley Register-Herald - August 3rd, 2017
- Cancer Research UK in favour of e-cigs for harm reduction - Vaping Post (blog) - August 2nd, 2017
- Young people bike across country for cancer research - KXLY Spokane - August 1st, 2017
- Finding PEACE and remembering my brother Mark Dave's story - Cancer Research UK (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- Clamming for a Cure raises money for breast cancer research - WMDT - August 1st, 2017
- Sir Rod Stewart's son launches goal-scoring Cancer Research fundraising appeal in honour of late grandmother - The Scottish Sun - August 1st, 2017
- IMRT: bending radiotherapy beams to spare healthy cells - Cancer Research UK (blog) - August 1st, 2017
- Cancer gene map uncovers potential new treatment targets - Cancer Research UK - July 30th, 2017
- Waco: Community raises funds for cancer research at annual Cattle Baron's Ball - KWTX - July 30th, 2017
- Reveis honored for cancer research fundraising - The Hour - Thehour.com - July 30th, 2017
- Fighting the good fight to fund childhood cancer research - WGN-TV - July 30th, 2017
- Team Rochester to trek 25 miles for cancer research - Post-Bulletin - July 30th, 2017
- Cancer Research Frontiers - July 13th, 2017
- Cancer Research UK comments on the Government's response to the National Data Guardian Review - Cancer Research UK - July 13th, 2017
- Journal of Cancer Research and Practice - Elsevier - July 13th, 2017
- Perspective | Children's Cancer Research Fund - July 13th, 2017
- 'Living Drug' That Fights Cancer By Harnessing The Immune System Clears Key Hurdle - NPR - July 13th, 2017
- Bike ride will benefit cancer research - Ricentral.com - July 13th, 2017
- RIDING: Journey to benefit cancer research - The News Guard - July 13th, 2017
- 9/11 first responder's family runs for colon cancer research - amNY - July 13th, 2017
- Tall men are more likely to develop prostate cancer, new research suggests - The Independent - July 13th, 2017
- Iranian Scientist Arriving In US To Aid Cancer Research Sent Home By Border Authorities - HuffPost - July 13th, 2017
- Cyclists stop by Roseburg on 4000-mile ride benefiting cancer research - NRToday.com - July 13th, 2017
- Proscia wants to bridge technology gap in cancer research - MedCity News - July 11th, 2017
- Cancer research charity inherits revamped bus from Nowra-based company - South Coast Register - July 11th, 2017
- FACIT supports cancer research translation and invests in three talented Ontario start-ups - PR Newswire (press release) - July 10th, 2017
- Milton Keynes Triathlon team aiming to raise 5k for Cancer Research - Milton Keynes Citizen - July 10th, 2017
- Big Slimming World Clothes Throw raises 3.3m for Cancer Research UK - UK Fundraising - July 10th, 2017
- Owlstone Medical and Cancer Research UK (CRUK) Initiate Pan ... - Business Wire (press release) - July 10th, 2017
- Former Greenway football player now succeeding in cancer research - Mesabi Daily News - July 9th, 2017
- Cirencester Specsavers launches summer-long fundraising effort for Cancer Research UK - Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard - July 9th, 2017
- Man to cycle for brain cancer research - Victoria Advocate - July 9th, 2017
- The latest in cancer research and how Silicon Valley is involved - WRVO Public Media - July 9th, 2017